Palmer, Texas is a small city located in Ellis County. It is situated on the northern edge of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, about 20 miles south of downtown Dallas. The city’s geography is mostly flat with a few rolling hills. The climate in Palmer is typically warm and humid with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Palmer can be traced back to the early 1800s when it was first settled by pioneers from Tennessee and Kentucky. In 1846, the town was officially founded and named after William T. Palmer, a Texas Ranger who fought in many battles during the Civil War. Since then, Palmer has grown into a small but vibrant city with a population of just over 2,000 people.
Politically, Palmer is part of Ellis County and falls within the conservative voting district of House District 8. The economy in Palmer is largely based on agriculture and manufacturing, as well as some retail businesses like restaurants and convenience stores.
Education in Palmer is provided by two schools: North Ellis County Elementary School (serving grades K-5) and North Ellis County Middle School (serving grades 6-8). There are also several private schools in the area for families looking for alternative educational options for their children.
Palmer has several interesting landmarks that are worth visiting if you’re ever in town. These include the historic Downtown Square which features a courthouse built in 1881; The Old Post Office which dates back to 1909; The Grand Saloon which was once frequented by Cowboys; and The Myra Bivins Library which houses an extensive collection of books from local authors, among other things. Additionally, there are several parks located around town where you can enjoy outdoor activities like fishing or hiking trails along scenic creekside trails.
Population: 1,774. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,074 (+16.9% change)
Males: 884 (49.8%), Females: 890 (50.2%)
Zip code: 75152
Median resident age: 29.9 years
Median household income: $40,729
Median house value: $59,600
Races in Palmer:
- White Non-Hispanic (70.2%)
- Hispanic (26.3%)
- Other race (8.7%)
- Black (1.8%)
- Two or more races (1.7%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (19.3%), German (6.6%), English (6.3%), Irish (5.6%), French (1.6%), Italian (1.6%).
Land area: 2.8 square miles
Palmer is a small city located in Ellis County, Texas. It is situated about 20 miles south of downtown Dallas and the population is estimated to be around 2,300 people. The majority of the residents are Caucasian, with African Americans making up about 11% of the population and Hispanics accounting for 6%. The median household income in Palmer is $46,000 per year and the median age is 34 years old.
The city of Palmer has a strong sense of community and pride. There are many opportunities for recreation within the city limits such as parks, golf courses, sports fields and more. Education is also a priority in Palmer with many excellent schools in the area. The public school system includes two elementary schools, one middle school and one high school which have all been rated highly by the state of Texas. In addition to these public schools there are six private schools located within Palmer as well.
The economy in Palmer is mainly based on agriculture but there are also some light industries that provide employment opportunities for residents such as manufacturing, retail stores, restaurants and other businesses. Additionally there are several churches located within the city limits providing spiritual guidance to many local families. The city also has an active Chamber of Commerce that works hard to support local businesses by hosting events such as special sales days or providing resources to help businesses grow and succeed.
For population 25 years and over in Palmer
- High school or higher: 66.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Palmer town
- Never married: 24.4%
- Now married: 58.0%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 8.7%
10.8% Foreign born (10.5% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +61 (+3.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Palmer:
- ENNIS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 8 miles; ENNIS, TX)
- BAYLOR MEDICAL CENTER AT WAXAHACHIE (about 12 miles; WAXAHACHIE, TX)
- MEDICAL CENTER AT LANCASTER (about 13 miles; LANCASTER, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Palmer:
- DALLAS LOVE FIELD (about 31 miles; DALLAS, TX; Abbreviation: DAL)
- DALLAS/FORT WORTH INTERNATIONAL (about 41 miles; DALLAS-FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: DFW)
- FORT WORTH MEACHAM INTL (about 55 miles; FORT WORTH, TX; Abbreviation: FTW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Palmer:
- FERRIS RED OAK MUNI (about 7 miles; FERRIS/RED OAK, TX; Abbreviation: 12T)
- ENNIS MUNI (about 8 miles; ENNIS, TX; Abbreviation: F41)
- LANCASTER (about 10 miles; LANCASTER, TX; Abbreviation: LNC)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Palmer:
- TRI STATE SEMI DRIVER TRAINING INC (Location: 3001 N I45; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Palmer:
- SOUTHERN METHODIST UNIVERSITY (about 25 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,231)
- MOUNTAIN VIEW COLLEGE (about 26 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,029)
- DALLAS BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,496)
- EL CENTRO COLLEGE (about 26 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,359)
- EASTFIELD COLLEGE (about 27 miles; MESQUITE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,457)
- NAVARRO COLLEGE (about 29 miles; CORSICANA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,842)
- RICHLAND COLLEGE (about 34 miles; DALLAS, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,352)
Public high school in Palmer:
- PALMER H S (Students: 331; Location: 315 W JEFFERSON ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Palmer:
- PALMER EL (Students: 300; Location: 315 W JEFFERSON ST; Grades: PK – 02)
- PALMER MIDDLE (Students: 240; Location: 315 W JEFFERSON ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- PALMER INTERMEDIATE (Students: 228; Location: 315 W JEFFERSON ST; Grades: 03 – 05)