Pampa, Texas is located in the northern panhandle of Texas, just south of the Oklahoma border. The city is situated at the intersection of US 60 and US 70, which makes it an ideal location for travelers. The city is surrounded by a flat and expansive landscape that is typical of the region. Pampa has a semi-arid climate, with hot summers and mild winters.
The history of Pampa dates back to 1887 when it was founded by settlers from the nearby towns of White Deer and Skellytown. The town was originally named “Glasgow” after one of its founding families, but was later changed to Pampa in honor of a local Native American tribe. The city grew rapidly during the early 20th century as oil was discovered nearby in 1918 and cotton farming began to take off.
Politically, Pampa is part of Gray County and is represented in the United States House of Representatives by Republican Jodey Arrington. The local government consists of a mayor-council system with five members on the council elected at large every two years.
The economy in Pampa has been largely based on agriculture since its founding, although oil production has played an important role as well. More recently, retail sales have become an important part of the local economy with several large stores located in town. The largest employer in Pampa is Walmart followed by Tyson Foods and Lowe’s Home Improvement Warehouse.
Pampa has several schools including public elementary schools, middle schools, high schools as well as private institutions such as Our Lady Queen Catholic School and St John’s Lutheran School. There are also numerous colleges within driving distance including Amarillo College and West Texas A&M University both located just 50 miles away from Pampa.
Finally, there are several landmarks located throughout Pampa that are worth visiting such as White Deer Land Museum which chronicles the history of local settlers; White Deer Golf Course; along with various parks including Thompson Park Zoo & Aquarium; Don Harrington Discovery Center; McLean City Park; and many more attractions around town that make it a great place to visit or live!
Population: 17,887. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,744 (-6.4% change)
Males: 8,522 (47.6%), Females: 9,365 (52.4%)
Zip codes: 79065.
Median resident age: 39.3 years
Median household income: $31,213
Median house value: $37,200
Races in Pampa:
- White Non-Hispanic (79.2%)
- Hispanic (13.7%)
- Other race (8.2%)
- Black (3.9%)
- Two or more races (2.7%)
- American Indian (2.6%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (16.1%), German (9.8%), Irish (9.4%), English (8.6%), Scotch-Irish (2.3%), Dutch (1.9%).
Elevation: 3236 feet
Land area: 8.7 square miles
Pampa, Texas is a small city located in the heart of the Texas panhandle. It has a population of around 20,000 people, making it one of the smaller cities in the state. The population is predominantly white, with African Americans and Hispanics making up only a small portion of the population. The median age is 37 years old, with nearly 40% of the population under 18 years old. The majority of residents are married couples, with about 36% living alone. Most people living in Pampa are employed in either agriculture or manufacturing industries. There are also many small businesses located in Pampa that contribute to its economy and provide jobs for its citizens. Education is important to this community as well; there are several elementary schools, middle schools and high schools located within Pampa’s city limits. Healthcare is also available through several hospitals and clinics within the city limits. Overall, Pampa has an excellent quality of life for its citizens and provides them with all they need to have a successful life in this small town.
For population 25 years and over in Pampa
- High school or higher: 76.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.2%
- Unemployed: 5.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pampa city
- Never married: 16.8%
- Now married: 62.4%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 9.5%
- Divorced: 9.5%
5.3% Foreign born (4.5% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -2,007 (-10.1%).
Hospital/medical center in Pampa:
- PAMPA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (1 MEDICAL PLAZA)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Pampa:
- GOLDEN PLAINS COMM HOSP (about 32 miles; BORGER, TX)
- HANSFORD HOSPITAL (about 47 miles; SPEARMAN, TX)
- HEMPHILL COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 51 miles; CANADIAN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pampa:
- AMARILLO INTL (about 56 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Abbreviation: AMA)
- LIBERAL MUNI (about 103 miles; LIBERAL, KS; Abbreviation: LBL)
- ALTUS AFB (about 133 miles; ALTUS, OK; Abbreviation: LTS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pampa:
- PERRY LEFORS FIELD (about 5 miles; PAMPA, TX; Abbreviation: PPA)
- MIAMI-ROBERTS COUNTY (about 28 miles; MIAMI, TX; Abbreviation: 3E0)
- PANHANDLE-CARSON COUNTY (about 30 miles; PANHANDLE, TX; Abbreviation: T45)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Pampa:
- AMARILLO COLLEGE (about 68 miles; AMARILLO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,876)
- WEST TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY (about 76 miles; CANYON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,476)
- WAYLAND BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 107 miles; PLAINVIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,578)
- TEXAS TECH UNIVERSITY (about 146 miles; LUBBOCK, TX; Full-time enrollment: 22,439)
- SOUTHWESTERN OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 156 miles; WEATHERFORD, OK; Full-time enrollment: 4,360)
- SOUTH PLAINS COLLEGE (about 167 miles; LEVELLAND, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,851)
- CAMERON UNIVERSITY (about 185 miles; LAWTON, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
Public high schools in Pampa:
- PAMPA H S (Students: 935; Location: 111 E HARVESTER; Grades: 09 – 12)
- P L C-PAMPA LEARNING CTR (Students: 70; Location: 400 N FAULKNER; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Pampa:
- PAMPA MIDDLE (Students: 795; Location: 2401 CHARLES; Grades: 06 – 08)
- AUSTIN EL (Students: 417; Location: 1900 DUNCAN; Grades: KG – 05)
- TRAVIS EL (Students: 370; Location: 2300 PRIMROSE; Grades: KG – 05)
- LAMAR EL (Students: 362; Location: 1234 S NELSON; Grades: PK – 05)
- WILSON EL (Students: 340; Location: 801 E BROWNING; Grades: KG – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Pampa:
- ST MATTHEWS EPISCOPAL DAY SCHL (Students: 81; Location: 727 W BROWNING; Grades: PK – KG)
- ST VINCENT DE PAUL ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 81; Location: 2300 NORTH HOBART ST; Grades: PK – 5)
- COMMUNITY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 37; Location: PO BOX 2929ER ST POB 51; Grades: KG – 7)
Library in Pampa:
- LOVETT MEMORIAL LIBRARY, PAMPA (Operating income: $372,525; Location: 111 N HOUSTON ST; 71,118 books; 7,701 audio materials; 1,164 video materials; 119 serial subscriptions)