Singapore: Political System
According to EQUZHOU.NET, Singapore is a parliamentary democracy. At the head of the state is a prime minister who is elected every 5 years. You can be re-elected as often as you like. Parliament is a unicameral system with 84 seats that is elected every five years. Since 1990, Parliament has been able to appoint additional new members. In reality, however, Parliament does not have a major control function. The voting age is 21 years. See AbbreviationFinder for more information about Singapore politics, and acronyms as well.
In the city-state there is the death penalty and a caning sentence, which is expressed in beatings with the cane. The number of blows with the stick depends on the offense.
The official name of the country is
|Republic of Singapore|
Enric Zubir Sahid composed the national anthem of Singapore “Majula Singapura” (Forward Singapore) in 1956/57.
The anthem has been the country’s national anthem since 1965 – the year of independence.
|In the original Malay text||In the English translation|
|Mari kita rakyat SingapuraSama-sama menuju bahagia
Cita-cita kita yang mulia
Berjaya SingapuraMarilah kita bersatu
Dengan semangat yang baru
Semua kita berseru
|We, the people of Singapore,march to happiness together.
Our noble endeavor is to make
Singapore a success.Let us unite
in a new spirit.
Together we announce:
The national flag of Singapore was hoisted for the first time on an official occasion on December 3, 1959. Based on flag descriptions by Countryaah.com, the colors and symbols of the flag are interpreted as follows:
– Red symbolizes the universal brotherhood and equality of the people
– White the purity and virtue
– The crescent moon in the upper left corner stands for a young, rising nation
– The five stars for democracy, peace, progress, justice and equality
- Check top-mba-universities for public holidays, sports events, UNESCO world heritage sites and major places to visit in Singapore.
Singapore: Known People
Architects and builders
- George Coleman, the Irish architect built a large number of Palladian-style buildings for the East India Trading Company
- Ieo Ming Pei (born 1917), the American architect of Chinese descent built Raffles City. In 1983 he was awarded the most important architecture prize, the Pritzker Prize.
Politicians and rulers
Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles (1781-1826)
Raffles was the founder of Singapore in 1819. He founded the city as the main base of the East Indian trading company in Southeast Asia. Previously only a few fishing families lived there, and the place was also considered a refuge for pirates.