Tag Archives: Guatemala

According to watchtutorials, the population of Guatemala is estimated to be around 17.8 million people, as of 2020. The majority of the population are Mestizo, or mixed Amerindian and Spanish ancestry, accounting for about 60% of the total. The remaining 40% is comprised of indigenous Amerindian peoples such as the Maya, Garifuna, Xinca and Ladino. Additionally, there are small numbers of Europeans and Middle Easterners living in Guatemala. The largest city in Guatemala is the capital city of Guatemala City with a population of 3 million people. Other major cities include Quetzaltenango (Xela), Escuintla, Totonicapán and Mazatenango. The majority of Guatemalans live in rural areas and small towns scattered throughout the country’s 22 departments or states. The official language spoken by most Guatemalans is Spanish; however there are also 21 distinct Mayan languages spoken by various indigenous groups throughout the country. Other languages spoken in Guatemala include Garifuna, Xinca and several other native languages as well as English which is widely used in international business contexts. Guatemala has a very young population with over 60% under 30 years old, making it one of the youngest countries in Latin America. Additionally, women outnumber men at 52% to 48%. Life expectancy for both men and women is around 73 years old according to World Bank data from 2019; however this varies significantly between rural and urban areas with urban life expectancy being higher than rural life expectancy due to a number of factors including access to medical care and nutrition. See itypetravel for Guatemala Population and Language.

Guatemala Political System, Famous People, Animals and Plants

Guatemala: Political System According to DISEASESLEARNING.COM, Guatemala is an independent democratic republic with a multi-party system. At the head of the state is a president who is elected directly by the people every 4 years. Re-election is possible. The constitution of January 15, 1986 establishes the separation between the legislature (Congreso de la República, Parliament),… Read More »

How to get to Guatemala

Overview Guatemala fascinates above all because of its spectacular Mayan ruins and archaeological sites. Today, the Maya, who make up almost half of Guatemala’s population, still live in the old-fashioned way in the pine forests of the highlands, wearing their traditional colorful weaves. In Guatemala today there are still about 21 ethnic groups speaking 23… Read More »