Philippines: Political System
According to EQUZHOU.NET, the Philippines is a presidential republic. The head of the state is the president. The parliament is a bicameral system. It consists of the House of Representatives with 212 members directly elected for three years and the Senate with 24 members. Half of the Senate members are elected every three years for a period of six years. See AbbreviationFinder for more information about Philippines politics, and acronyms as well.
According to the 1987 constitution, the presidency is limited to a six-year term.
According to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, a parliamentary system is to be introduced in 2010.
The voting age is 18 years.
The official name of the country is:
|Republika ng Pilipinas Republic of the Philippines|
The Philippines is divided into 14 regions and two autonomous areas with limited self-determination.
Based on flag descriptions by Countryaah.com, the original Spanish version of the Philippine national anthem was written by Jose Palma (1876-1903) in 1898 and composed in the same year. A year later, the text was translated into Tagalog by Felipe P. Leon. It became the country’s official anthem in 1935. In the original it reads:
- Check top-mba-universities for public holidays, sports events, UNESCO world heritage sites and major places to visit in Philippines.
|Lupang Hinirang (beloved land)Bayang magiliw,
Perlas ng silanganan,
Alab ng puso,
Sa dibdib mo’y buhay
Duyan ka ng magiting
Di ka pasisiil.
Sa dagat at bundok,
Sa simoy at sa langit mong bughaw,
May dilag ang tula at awit
sa paglayang minamahal.
Ang kislap ng watawat mo’y
Tagumpay na nagniningning.
Ang bituin at araw niya
Kailan pa ma’y di magdidilim
Lupa ng araw, ng lualhati’t pagsinta,
Buhay ay langit sa piling mo.
Aming ligaya na pag may mang-aapi,
Ang mamatay ng dahil sa iyo.
And in the English translation
|O beloved land,Daughter of the Sun of the Orient,
with burning embers,
prices high like our souls.
Holy land of love,
cradle of valor,
intruders should never
enter the holy land.
In your sky and your winds,
and over your mountains and seas,
the radiant shine,
feel the hammering of glorious freedom.
Your clear love in all of our hearts,
your shining sun and stars.
The light is never
extinguished by the power of tyrants!
Beautiful land of love, O land of light,
embrace your rapture.
Glory and honor to your sons,
Should violence hit them and kill them
The Philippines are divided into the following 79 states and 116 cities:
Abra, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Aklan, Albay, Antique, Apayao, Aurora, Basilan, Bataan, Batanes, Batangas, Biliran, Benguet, Bohol, Bukidnon, Bulacan, Cagayan, Camarines Norte, Camarines Sur, Camiguin, Capiz, Catanduanes, Cavite, Cebu, Compostela, Davao del Norte, Davao del Sur, Davao Oriental, Eastern Samar, Guimaras, Ifugao, Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, Iloilo, Isabela, Kalinga, Laguna, Lanao del Norte, Lanao del Sur, La Union, Leyte, Maguindanao, Marinduque, Masbate, Mindoro Occidental, Mindoro Oriental, Misamis Occidental, Misamis Oriental, Mountain Province, Negros Occidental, Negros Oriental, North Cotabato, Northern Samar, Nueva Ecija, Nueva Vizcaya, Palawan, Pampanga, Pangasinan, Quezon, Quirino, Rizal, Romblon, Samar, Sarangani, Siquijor, Sorsogon, South Cotabato, Southern Leyte, Sultan Kudarat, Sulu, Surigao del Norte,Surigao del Sur, Tarlac, Tawi-Tawi, Zambales, Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay.
Alaminos, Angeles, Antipolo, Bacolod, Bago, Baguio, Bais, Balanga, Batangas, Bayawan, Bislig, Butuan, Cabanatuan, Cadiz, Cagayan de Oro, Calamba, Calapan, Calbayog, Candon, Canlaon, Cauayan, Cavite, Cebu, Cotabato, Dagupan, Danao, Dapitan, Davao, Digos, Dipolog, Dumaguete, Escalante, Gapan, General Santos, Gingoog, Himamaylan, Iligan, Iloilo, Isabela, Iriga, Kabankalan, Kalookan, Kidapawan, Koronadal, La Carlota, Laoag, Lapu-Lapu, Las Pinas, Legazpi, Ligao, Lipa, Lucena, Maasin, Makati, Malabon, Malaybalay, Malolos, Mandaluyong, Mandaue, Manila, Marawi, Markina, Masbate, Muntinlupa, Munoz, Naga, Olongapo, Ormoc, Oroquieta, Ozamis, Pagadian, Palayan, Panabo, Paranaque, Pasay, Pasig, Passi, Puerto Princesa, Quezon, Roxas, Sagay, Samal, San Carlos (in Negros Occidental), San Carlos (in Pangasinan), San Fernando (in La Union),San Fernando (in Pampanga), San Jose, San Jose del Monte, San Pablo, Santa Rosa, Santiago, Silay, Sipalay, Sorsogon, Surigao, Tabaco, Tacloban, Tacurong, Tagaytay, Tagbilaran, Tagum, Talisay (in Cebu), Talisay (in Negros Oriental), Tanauan, Tangub, Tanjay, Tarlac, Toledo, Tuguegarao, Trece Martires, Urdaneta, Valencia, Valenzuela, Victorias, Vigan, Zamboanga.
Philippines: Known People
Architects and builders
- Doumer (born 1913)The architect built the Long Bien Bridge in Hanoi in 1902.
- Fernando Amorsolo (1893 – 1972)He was the first official national artist. In 1972 he was awarded this title as a painter.
- The Philippine Madrigal SingersThe choir won the 1997 title of world’s best choir at the 1997 European Choral Grand Prix, which is the competition for the world’s best choirs.
- Dr. José Protacio Rizal (1861 – 1896)The Filipino national and freedom hero was executed in 1896 in Fort Santiago, in Manila. He could read and write ready by the age of 2. He spoke a total of 20 languages. He lived as a doctor in Germany for a few years. He wrote his novel “Noli me tangere” in Wilhelmsfeld near Heidelberg. A statue in Rizal Park and a memorial room in the town hall still remember him today!
- Ferdinand Edralin Marcos (1917-1989)President of the country from 1965-1986
- Corazón Cojuangco Aquino (born 1933)President from 1986 to 1992
- Fidel Valdez Ramos (born 1928)President from 1992 to 1998
- Ejercito Estrada (born 1937)President from 1998 to 2001
- Gloria Macapagal Arroyo (born 1947)President since 2001
- Carlos Peña Romulo (1899 – 1985)The Filipino war journalist became the first Asian journalist to win the Pulitzer Prize for Journalism in 1942.He was also the ambassador of his country and head of the Philippine delegation to the UN. On September 20, 1949, he was even elected President of the UN General Assembly
- Freddie Aguilar He became world famous with his song ANAK.
- Beautyqueens The Philippines won the Miss Universe title in 1969 and 1973,and the Miss International title in 1965, 1970 and 1979.
- Filipino DiverIt was a Filipino diver who found the world’s largest pearl in the Palawan Sea in 1934. The pearl is known as the Perl of Lao -Tzu. It is said to be around 600 years old.
- Rafael “Paeng” Nepomuceno (born 1957)won the World Cup in bowling six times, the first time in 1976. He also won the silver medal with the Philippine five-man team in 1991 at the World Championships (world championship) and was the first bowling player to was honored in the international bowling hall in St Louis/USA